Well after quite an emotional goodbye at the airport (I must say Mom held it together pretty well!) I embarked on my journey toward Chile. My first flight took me to Miami, but not nearly fast enough. We were late taking off in Seattle which made me extra anxious, and on top of that I was tuck between a staunch Republican wearing a "Freedom is not Free" t-shirt supporting the Iraq war and a 60 year old hippie sporting Obama gear. I could have cut the tension with a knife. I finally got off the plane in Miami after watching a boy pee his pants as his brother bit him ("Oww Charlie, you bit me!) and I literally sprinted through the airport with my giant old-school yellow backpack on and my aluminum water bottle tied to the back clanking along. I was definitely that crazy woman that you take pity on as they run through the airport. I reached my boarding gate right as they were about to close the door and boarded my plane just in time. (Thank God I still had some marathon stamina left!) I enjoyed a delicious meal of processed beef and boxed mashed potatoes, a stale roll and soggy salad. But hey, I'm not complaining - at least we got food! What I find ironic is after chatting with the Chilean man next to me he bought me a glass of wine to go with dinner. The wine wasn't Chilean wine, but rather a California Shiraz. It's not like I'm going to one of the wine hot-spots of the world or anything...Anyway, I talked to this nice gentleman most of the flight, that is, until I passed out from stress and exhaustion. We talked politics and this-and-that about Chile. Actually, he did most of the talking, and I returned a blank stare just trying to keep up! Chilean Spanish is quite different and will take some getting used to. For example, they seem to completely ignore the fact that their alphabet includes the letter "s." They just don't say it at all. Asking them to slow down gets nothing more than a pity smile.
I slept most of the flight after dinner until the sun woke me up! :) It was a beautiful sunrise and I felt a wave of calm excitement rush through me. My excitement grew as I saw breakfast coming around. Yogurt and a croissant. Not too shabby! By the time I finished slurping my yogurt using the foil top (they ran out of spoons) I was able to see bare brown mountains, and soon small patches of farmland. I have no idea where it was, but it was an incredible view, and suddenly became even more excited about my new home.
Upon arrival I experienced what every traveler dreads: my luggage did not arrive with me. But for some reason today that didn't phase me. I figured, if it didn't come eventually I would do some shopping! I ended up getting it today, so it all worked out. The taxi ride was a little more unnerving. After departing the airport the driver told me the fare was bumped up to $40,000 pesos, which is about $70. Umm...NO! So after giving him a piece of my mind in the most crude and unlady-like Spanish I knew, I talked him down to an appropriate price. And after I signed the receipt I told him what I really thought of his favorite soccer team, Chelsea FC. :) Once arriving at the hotel I met up with my group and here I am beginning orientation. The city is beautiful, I love the people here and the people on my group, and I really feel at home. It was one hell of a ride getting here, but I wouldn't have it any other way! More to come soon!
Hola Jody! I just found your blog while I was surfing around FB. So cool that you are in Chile! I am super proud of you for talking down that cabbie driver! I totally got taken advantage of in a similar way when I first got to Spain! Glad you didn't fall in the same trap!
ReplyDelete