I've always been a huge birthday person -like, annoyingly so. I just think there's nothing better to celebrate than another year of living, exploring, traveling, seeing the world and sharing with other people. Going into this birthday, however, I was a little bummed not to celebrate it with my family and friends from back home. All my best birthday memories include loved ones that have known me for years who can share stories and memories rather than gifts. Here in Chile I have great friends whom I love dearly, but I still felt a little twinge of homesickness at not being with my family on my birthday. But once the day arrived, I realized that I have a whole new family here, and they made my birthday spectacular. I worked all day on my birthday, which to some would be a drag, but it actually made my day! I walked into work and was immediately greeted by several teachers wishing me happy birthday! Only one or two people knew, but I think they spread the word. My first class lined up to give me hugs and kisses as they left, and practiced their English by singing Happy Birthday to me. I was slightly annoyed to start my next class because 15 mintues after class started there were only 3 people. As I was wondering where all my students were, all of a sudden they walk into class together, holding a birthday cake with candles, balloons and confetti and started singing Happy Birthday Miss Jody. I was really taken aback! These are students that save their pesos to be able to make photocopies at school, or take the metro home 1 hour instead of a bus which takes twice the time. For them to save money and all contribute to a cake and soda for the class was really touching. We spent the class talking about our favorite birthday memories, traditions, and got absolutely nothing else done. It was perfect.
That night was the anniversary dinner for my school. Teachers, secretaries, custodial staff and security got all dolled up and headed to the military country club, which overlooked the entire city, to have a huge soiree celebrating the hard work everyone puts into our school to make it run (or sometimes run. Sometimes it's more like a limp, but it's at least moving.) My coworkers must have mentioned something to my boss, because as the campus director made his welcome speech, he announced that there was a birthday, and made me stand up to be recognized. Ahh! A little overwhelming! Throughout the night other professors came to give me hugs and kisses and flowers (from the centerpieces, but hey) and little gifts. I had never met some of these people, and for them to stop by my table and congratulate me really meant a lot. It was a great night of good food, good company and great dancing. Definitely a birthday not to be forgotten! Pictures to come soon!
No comments:
Post a Comment