Presidential elections are coming up here in Chile, and, just like back home, the streets are full of signs, people are passing out leaflets and pamphlets, and TV is full of ads for different candidates. There are some interesting differences, though, between Chile and the US in terms of the elections.
The elections are scheduled for Sunday, December 13. Elections are held on a Sunday so that people that work won't miss the opportunity to vote. This is really important because here in Chile, if you are registered to vote but don't vote, you are fined. For this reason, many of my students don't even sign up to vote. The president serves 4 years, and can serve as many terms as they want, but not consecutively.
There are 4 main candidates running in this election:
Sebastian Piñera represents the Alianza por Chile (Alliance for Chile) which is a center-right winged party. Piñera is one of the most wealthy businessmen in Chile, and holds part or full ownership of several major companies, such as LAN airlines and Chilevisión.
Eduardo Frei represents the Concertación de Partidos por la Democracia (Concert of Parties for Democracy), the center-left party. Frei was president of Chile from 1994-2000.
The Socialist party chose Jorge Arrate as their candidate, an economist and lawyer who studied at Harvard.
Marco Enriquez-Ominami is running as an independent. He was part of the Socialist party, but resigned earlier this year.
The streets are full of huge posters, signs and people handing out material about each candidate. The candidates are out and about in different parts of Santiago and other cities doing the obligatory meet-and-greets and public appearances. A debate was just shown on TV a few days ago, but unfortunately my background in Chilean political issues isn't strong enough that I could understand everything that was going on. One thing I think is interesting is every night this last week Chilean public television (currently the only thing I watch because I don't have cable.) has played a 20 minute program, on EVERY channel in which each candidate has 5 minutes to put together an advertisement. They are shown one-by-one with the presidential candidates along with the senators and regional representatives. There is a huge campaign to try to get more people involved in the election process. Many people aren't really interested in politics because now that the Pinochet dictatorship is done, people don't really care about the politics. As one of my teachers put it, "We don't really care anymore because any one of these candidates is better than the dictatorship." Not a great attitude, but understandable seeing as the dictatorship ended in 1989, not all that long ago.
I still don't know enough about the candidates to know who I would vote for, but I'm sure as the elections get even closer I will learn more!
Saturday, November 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment