Friday, June 26, 2009

¡Bailando La Cueca en Clase!




As the end of the semester gets closer I seem to get busier and busier. All of a sudden students who showed no interest at all throughout the semester start to care about the fact that they're failing my class and want to retake quizzes and even do extra projects to make up points. I arrive to school early and leave late to make sure everything gets done, and at the end of the day I'm ready for a break. So today in my first class as the class was doing their review worksheets for the final exam I turned on the radio so it wouldn't be so boring. After most of the students finished and left class, some of my favorite students stayed behind to ask me if I knew the Cueca dance. I didn't, but I'd love to learn! My students jumped at the chance to switch roles and play profe for a while, and so ensued teaching the gringa teacher how to dance the Chilean National Dance.
La Cueca has 3 parts: First, the gentleman courts the lady and invites her to dance. Second, the lady accepts, does a few turns, and starts to tease the gentleman and start a chase in a circle. Last they finally reunite and dance together again. This is all done while twirling a napkin around over your head.
My students took me through step by step and taught me the moves (and tried to convince me that droppin' it like it's hot was part of the cueca, but I knew better.) First Carlos showed me how to dance the traditional cueca, which is more formal, and then Victor taught me the more modern version. It was an awesome class, and a welcome break from the stress of the end of the year. I passed around my camera and got some great photos of my students teaching me to dance!

1 comment:

  1. that sounds like so much fun! you'll have to teach us all soon so we can impress some Chilean men with our knowledge of their dance

    ReplyDelete