Wow, I'm kind of behind on my blog. Oops! I'm having my computer repaired, which is partly to blame, and have also just basically been on the go for quite a while.
My first semester of teaching ended, and honestly, it feels like it just started! It went by soo fast! I had a great time, little bumps along the way, but for the most part I love all my little kiddies. (I say kiddies, but they're really my age.) I also got to experience all the administrative duties that go along with being a teacher - staff meetings, entering grades, reading and responding to the most pointless emails known to man, etc. It has been nice to have a break to say the least!
So what have I done on my break? I know you are all biting your nails with excitement. :) The first week of vacation I took a solo trip to the island of Chiloe in the south of Chile. Incredible!!! I felt like I was in Ireland (or what I imagine Ireland to be like as I haven't actually been there...) Rolling green hillsides were dotted with little farm plots of sheep and llama and some cows. Artisans weave hats, scarves, sweaters, slippers...pretty much everything out of wool and the rest of the population is involved in the fishing industry. You either fish, own a store that sells fish, build boats, repair boats, or farm. I stopped in several different cities, each with unique little quirks and character. I ate lunch at a restaurant that, after I ordered, actually went to the boat harbored at the marina and picked up the fresh seafood to cook my meal! I sampled mussel ceviche, smoked mussels and curanto, the local seafood stew specialty. Delicious! I spent about a week on the island, and explored as much as I could. I hiked through the national park where wild horses accompanied me on my hike down to the beach. I spent a lot of time walking along the beach, sitting at the beach, collecting shells at the beach, and drawing boats at the beach. I kind of like the beach...I met some really interesting people, including fishermen, the local prostitute, lots of artisans, and of course other travelers. It was absolutely beautiful, the weather was great, and it was a much needed break from Santiago. Pictures will come soon!
So for the second part of my "winter vacation" (which is so weird to be saying in July...) I am travelling with Allegra, her boyfriend and her brother to Bolivia, Peru, and the northern desert of Chile. I will definitely have some great blog posts following that adventure!
Sounds amazing :) Miss you Jo
ReplyDelete