Almost everyone in Chile is a fan of one of these three teams. And when I say that the rivalry is bitter, I mean it. Soccer is such a rowdy and dangerous sport here (to watch, that is. Playing is a walk in the park, but being a fan takes real courage.) that alcohol is not allowed to be sold in the stadium, or in any grocery store near the stadium because people are too passionate about their teams. This passion mixed with alcohol results in fights, assaults, and ramming your car into that of an opposing fan. I'm not joking, I watched it happen. Police line the streets in riot gear: full on suits, plastic shields, helmets and night-sticks. I thought we were in the middle of a war when I drove through the streets. There are certain sections of the stadium where it has been recommended that I don't sit when I go to a game because it's too dangerous. There are nets set up in front of the stands so the fans can't throw bottles at opposing players. The entire ambiance of the city changes on game-days, and it's almost like you can hear a buzz as you walk down the streets. Every radio is on, tv's are on all around the city, and some of my students have even tried to tell me that they won't be coming to class if there is a game on and I don't let them listen in class. (Umm, no!)
Even with all the craziness, the games are safe to attend as long as you're not being dumb and telling an opposing fan how bad their team is. (I'm adding this section to try to help ease my parents mind for when I tell them I have tickets for next week's game.) Soccer really is "el juego de la gente, " the people's game, here in Chile. Anyone can go play (unless you're a girl) no matter how much or how little money you have, and it's a way that people get together. It serves as something to distract people from issues like domestic violence, poverty and classism. It's an essential part of Chilean culture, and I really wouldn't survive here without acknowledging it :)
Ojala que puedas destruir el machizando del futbol un poquito!! ;)
ReplyDeleteI really enjoy reading about your adventures! I think you are a fun writer to follow! Que sigas adelante!! :)